Thursday, April 4, 2013

Fingers Crossed!!

So, I have rented my places of residence ever since I moved out of my parents house. I enjoy renting. I'm not locked into anything. At least for any longer than a year. I don't need to worry about land taxes, roof leaking, or any other major repair. If my hot water tank breaks (which is did a week after living in my current home), I call my landlord. It's his responsibility. Being that Bee and I live pay check to pay check with no savings, and no credit cards, this is our safety net. In fact, I have never desired to own a house. Ever. It was only within the last year or so that I even thought about it. And then, it wasn't like I wanted to move. I wanted to buy the house we are in now. Especially after the stress and the madness that was our last move. I swore I would die in this house. And really, it's a great house to die in. If I had to spend the rest of my life in it, I would be pleased as punch.

There are a few down sides to renting. There's the whole equity thing. Then, there is the fact that people kind of look down on you when you said "we rent". I don't mind those things though. I do get stressed out over paying my rent on time. I know that you have to pay a mortgage on time, but a landlord can serve you with eviction papers way easier than a mortgage company can. I also stress when things get broken. Or when my lawn is a day or two past needing to be cut. Then, there is the cats. We aren't supposed to have any. We have two. I'm always worried he is going to want to come over and then what am I going to do with them? (I know, I know. Had I not gotten them in the first place it wouldn't have been an issue...)

Anyway, ever since Bee and I have lived in the city we do (going on 3 years now!), there has been an old church for sale down the road from us. Beautiful old church. I love old churches. Every time we drive by, we fantasize out loud how cool it would be to buy it and turn it into a house. Every. Single. Time. In fact, last weekend, we even drove into the "U" shaped drive to take a closer look. It's all we have talked about for days. So, on a whim yesterday I looked it up online.

Ya'll...

It's been on the market since 2007 (but the owners have kept up with the property) and they are asking only $165,000! They are also "open" to taking offers. I text Bee and he was all, "LET'S DO IT!" and I was all like "YOU BET YOUR BISCUITS WE SHOULD!" Ever since then, it's been all I can think about. I emailed to realtor and she hasn't gotten back to met yet (I'm going to call her at lunch today.).

I really want to own this. Like Really, Really, REALLY. It will need some work to convert it into a home, like installing a shower, for instance, but so long as the electrical is up to date, there are no structural issues, and the roof is good, then it really won't take a whole, whole lot.

The big issue here will be financing. Bee's ex-wife destroyed his credit. I mean like, took a wrecking ball to it, then brought in a back hoe, then poured gasoline all over it and lit a match. He will have to be removed from the picture as far as financing goes. Which leaves me. My credit is limited. I've had a car loan since 2005 and I have paid it every month, on time, without fail (that was two different loans, for two different cars. by the way) and as of November of last year, I picked up another loan for Bee's car. That's it. No Credit Cards, No, Student Loans, No outstanding anything. That's good...but it's also bad. People would sometimes rather take a chance on someone who has applied for, gotten, and then defaulted on loans/credit cards, than someone who hasn't because they are an unknown. Then, there is the fact that even though together, Bee and I make decent money, I have to cut it in half because he can't be figured in on the credit application. That  aside, I only have $600.00 in outstanding debt I have to pay every month. Everything else is utilities and rent, which the latter we won't have if we are buying a "house".

At any rate, these are uncharted waters for me. Never done this process. I hate buying cars because the process is so involved and that's just a car. I know it's much worse for home-buying. We are going to take it one step at a time though. First one is talking to the realtor....

But really, how cool would it be to live in this?!

Front

Side/Back

Side View

Other side

Inside the sanctury. We would remove all the pews and make this a giant game room. Projector for movie nights, basket ball hoop, pool table...weights, excersise equipment



This is right next to the kitchen. We would use half for a dining room, and the other half for a living room

Other half of the parish hall

Kitchen. HUGE. Ugly color. This would be fixed immediately. 

Classrooms. We would turn these into bedrooms. I think there are 6....Depending on size, we would knock out a wall and make two into one master. :) 











1 comment:

Amander N said...

Wow! That is HUGE! I don't think I could ever take on that sort of project, but I hope it happens for you!