Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Ruh Roh...

I got home from work last night to find Little Man at the table doing homework like a fiend and Bee and C in Little Man's room pulling trash and other such stuff out. Dude was in t-r-o-u-b-l-e. Homework. Again.

Sigh.

I am at my wits end with that child. He doesn't do his homework (Hi pot! I'm kettle! But, this isn't about me). It's not that he doesn't know the material. The issue is, he does. He knows it. This is boring to him. He will take any test you give him, that's fine. He will ace it. But Homework? Boring. Beneath him. Waste of time. Why practice at something you already have mastered?

I get it, I do. However, there are things in my life (and yours) that I have mastered. I feel are beneath me (Hello, Filing) and I just plain don't want to do  (ahem. Work, cleaning, cooking, watching that youtube video for the 800th time and pretend it's hilarious) But, I have to do them. It's my job. He needs to learn that too. I don't want to reward him by taking that away. I mean, he would then learn that if there is something I don't want to do, I just need not do it, and they will stop making me do it!

Then, there is the fact that he is trying to tell us something. Something, I think he doesn't even know how to say. He's bored. He needs to be challenged. However, I don't know how to do that. He is lazy. He doesn't like to put forth any extra effort than he already has to. He is as advanced in the advanced class as he can get. He is in all the tier 1 groups. We were told when he was in 2nd grade he was doing 4th grade work and could easily be bumped up a grade. After discussing it, we all decided that's not what we wanted to do. Little Man didn't want to leave his friends and Bee and I thought with him being lazy like he was, making him a small fish in a big pond might be bad for him. Although, this fighting with him to do work he is obviously bored with is no fun either.

Needless to say, there was a lot of yelling, a lot of tears, and a lot of work being done last night. I told him this morning that I was going to be talking to his teachers and we would be discussing him and his homework etc, etc. Then, before I left for work, he came to me telling me his tummy started to hurt really bad.

Sigh.

Visions of cleaning puke up off the floor from the weekend are all still too fresh in my mind. I sent his little butt to school anyway. I told him he could call me anytime before he left for school and I would come back home, but he better be so sick, he can't leave the bathroom. Otherwise, go to school, turn in your homework, and if you get sick, the nurse can call me and I'll come home. Ugh...I REALLY hope he was sick from the trouble he knew he was going to be in and not because he has the stomach flu C had this weekend...

No comments: