Monday, December 20, 2010

Hospitality

It's that time of year. Relatives and friends going to and from each other's houses for parties, celebrations, and holiday meals. I think that is one of the main reasons I like the Holidays so much. I love spending time with the ones I love.

We were shown hospitality this weekend by complete strangers, and it was nice :) Friday night, Bee had a coaches/owners meeting with his staff from his football team. He told me that he would probably be out until 11pm or so and that maybe I could go out with BFF Rose or something and have a little girl time. I declined because BFF Rose is in Florida with her family, but also because I saw a sign outside a church that's around the corner from our house that they were having a live nativity that night. I have always wanted to go to one and I thought it would be fun for the kids.

So, after J and I finished her Christmas shopping, I went home and scooped up the other two and dropped J off (she had no interest.). I didn't really know what to expect and I was a little nervous because I didn't know anyone. The kids and I watched the nativity for a bit (it was really cool, I'll post pictures later!) and they got to pet the donkey and the sheep. Then, afterwards, they had soup and refreshments in the church. I didn't feel like cooking dinner, so we decided to go in and have some soup.

From the moment we walked in the door, we were met by smiling faces that took the time to notice us, notice that they didn't know us, and then make us feel welcome. We were joined at our table by a lovely older man who made us feel so welcome. He talked to the kids and instantly was a hit with them. We ate soup and crackers, and had punch and cookies. Then, they were asked by the other kids to come do a craft with them. They made gingerbread man ornaments for the tree, and colored Christmas pictures. All the while, different people stopped by to introduce themselves to me. They extended an offer to come and check out their church that Sunday. We thanked everyone at the end of the night and left with a feeling of acceptance.

The kids asked if  we could go back on Sunday and I said we would check it out. I really didn't think Bee would want to go, but he surprised me on Sunday morning by saying he would join us! We went to church and it was very nice. More people welcomed us and the ones from Friday remembered who we were and welcomed us back and making Bee feel welcome too. The service was lovely and the pastor did a sermon on....wait for it....Hospitality. I'd say him and his congregation have that down pat ;)

We talked about it as a family afterward and I think we are going to go back and see how we like it. I know one this is for sure, I will get to attend my first Candlelight Christmas Eve Service in a long time :)

2 comments:

Amander said...

It sounds really lovely. That's wonderful the congregation has been so welcoming to you.

Sarah said...

That's wonderful...and great that Bee went too! And I love the candlelight service...but it might be a few years before we get to go with Evan being so young. Enjoy!