Thursday, March 31, 2011

And the mangos?!

One of my nutrition challenges this week was to go to the store and buy a fruit or a vegetable that I had never tried before. So, on Monday, when I was at Giant Eagle to get Little man's prescriptions, I took a gander in the produce section. Eh, I had at least tried everything there. Then I saw mango's. Now, I've had a mango in mango salsa or in a fruit cup, but never a fresh one from my own kitchen and I certainly had never bought one before. So, I bit the bullet. It had been sitting on my counter getting ripe for the last 3 days.

Another challenge, was that we had to find a new recipe and try it out. So, last night as I sat trying to plan what was going to be for dinner, I thought about those mango's. I also looked around at the sparkpeople.com site to find something to do with those. I didn't really find anything that spoke to me, but I did get a few ideas!

In the end, I came home and cut up chicken breast into cubes and grilled them in my grill pan with a little bit of olive oil. Then, I added a whole onion (in strips), a whole HUGE green bell pepper in strips, and my two mango's cut into cubes. I added a little bit of seasonings (salt, pepper, and this southwest spice I have) and put that over white rice.

Oh Em Gee, it was delicious! And, it was only 235 calories a serving! If you want my recipe, you can check it out here!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Mmmmmm...that sounds delicious! I am definitely trying that recipe! :)

Amander said...

Love mangoes! And that recipe sounds delish!