Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Why does the grocery store stress me out?

The grocery store has long been my nemesis. I have always hated going. I dread it. I stress about it and I worry. Maybe it's because mama always made me go with her and we'd be there for hours, or maybe I just don't have the patience, but either way, I hate it. I love when Bee goes for me, but the only problem is, he never tells me he's going. He just comes home and triumphantly shows me his loot. The only problem is, he didn't get 3/4 of the things we need. At least he knows to always get bread and milk. We go through those like it's our job.

My biggest issues with the grocery store are what do I need?!, how much will it cost?! and Why God, why do there have to be people here?! I've never been good at lists. I write down what I need, then next thing you know, it's 16 pages long. Or I forget it at home. Or at work. I am also easily distracted by things that look yummy at the time. Or by products that advertise "NEW AND IMPROVED!". Then I get home, and I forgot the furken milk and bread, which was the reason for the trip in the first place. Which then leads to "How much will it cost?!"

If I am shopping with my bank card, I will say to myself "I want to spend no more than $100." Then, I get distracted, and next thing you know, I've spent $170. If I have Bee's card, I'll spend to the penny what he has told me to spend, using a calculator, but I stress the whole time "what if I go over?! what will I put back?!" Food is more expensive these days. Hell, it costs us between $50-$75 dollars to make lunches for 5 of us for a week! Well, I get cereal, and milk with that too. Maybe a bag of chicken, but still! That was even before I started this challenge. It costs more now because I need to eat fresh produce. Then the last one...

I hate crowds. I hate people in my way when I am trying to shop and are already stressed out. Either they move too fast, too slow, are oblivious that anyone is in the store besides them, or are parking their cart in front of what I need. If there are a LOT of people, I'll just walk out and come back later. Around Christmas, it actually reduced me to tears. More than once. On the same trip.

Ugh, and I have to face my cause of stress on my lunch break!

1 comment:

Amander said...

I don't mind the grocery store (except the money part). But I ALWAYS buy too much.