Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A new day!

Hmm. Well, I got all of that out of my system now. Enough with messy houses, and the whining. I'm done. It's a new day :)

I Have always loved the look and smell of a garden. Flowers are pretty, hard to grow plants are impressive, but I always felt that if you were going to put forth the effort, that a fruit and vegetable garden is the way to go.

The last oh, 8 years or so, my mom and I talked about doing a garden at her house. She has plenty of space. The only down side would be their dogs. Well, mine and my sisters dogs. My mom had a herb garden once. MY dog ate all the herbs before we could use them. Apparently, she likes spices too. Another problem at my mom's house is that most of the soil is clay. Stuff doesn't really like to grow in clay. Well, weeds do but, that is something else all together.

When my mom and I went to Pascagoola, Mississippi two summers ago with our church for Katrina relief, we met a young man there who had a pot garden. No. Not marijuana. Pots. He had pots lined up in rows and he planted his veggies and herbs in them. They have lots of sand in their soil making it hard to grow a garden. It was one of those "DUH!" moments. So, when we got back, my mom got started right away. It was a little late in the season (We went at the end of June), but she was still able to grow a few things. She started in May last year and had pretty good success.

I wanted to grow a pot garden too, but at the time, I lived with my BFF Rose, and we lived in an apartment on the basement level so we did not have a patio. When I moved to my current apartment, I was overjoyed at the aspect of a patio! However, it was September and too late to start anything, but I vowed in the spring....well, in the spring I would be off without a hitch! Well, it's spring, and there's a hitch ha! I am never at my apartment. I am always at Bee's. He has PLENTY of space for a garden, but by the time I would get it all started, I would have to leave it :(

I asked him if when we get our new place, If I can have a spot to garden and he turned his nose and said "I am NOT gardening." Apparently "she" always wanted a garden and he always got stuck taking care of it. Whatever. I am not "her". In fact, I wouldn't want anyone to touch my garden, but me. When we get settled into our new place, wherever that might be, I will have a garden.

I want to start out small. Maybe a pot garden. Possibly 5 or 6 pots with green peppers, tomatoes, sun flowers, herbs, and onions. See how I do. If I succeed, then maybe the following year, I will clear out a small space. Perhaps 5 ft X 5 ft and try growing in the ground. We shall see. I would like to think I have a green thumb :)

More Importantly, I can't wait to eat the fresh fruits and veggies that will come from all my hard work!

No comments: