Friday, April 16, 2010

Spotlight on... My Dad!





So, after focusing on my mom for last weeks spotlight entry, how hard was it to guess that my dad would be next??? hmm? :)


This is my poppy. I call him anything from "Dad", to "Daddy", "Poppy" or "Fither". My dad has to rank up there as one of the smartest people I know. Ever since I was a little girl, he has always been my hero. From scaring away the monsters under my bed, to fixing (or putting together) my toys. I was always quoted as saying, "My daddy can do anything! He's an electrician!" Even now, at 29 years old he is STILL fixing or putting together my toys and rescuing me when I need rescuing. This is the only man I know who would drive 45 minutes out of his way, just to bring me money, put gas in my car, or change a flat tire. Basically, if I need him, no matter for what, or when, he will be there.


My dad has instilled in me, what exactly I need in a man by being all that and more to my mother. He has always been the head of our household. He has the final say in all decisions, but usually defers to my mother. They talk everything out and make big decisions together. He may be the head of the house, but he still treats my mother with nothing but pure love. He has never thought anything about doing laundry, straightening up the house, washing dishes and he never has to be asked. He just does.


Like every human, he loses his patience sometimes, but always remains composed. I can count on one hand the times I have actually seen him lose his temper. He has always been there for my siblings and I. Every school concert, football game, or other function and while there, acted like he would rather be no other place in the world. He helped in all the major school projects, too. In fact, somewhere still in our garage is the fully working doorbell he helped me make for a science project on electricity when I was in second grade. He helped my sister make a catapult and helped my brother with his roller coaster project.

My dad is a good man who has worked hard all of his life. He has gotten the short end of the stick, but he has never let that keep him down. He believes in hard work and treating people how you want to be treated. He has devoted himself to his wife and children and made them his whole life. I respect that in him and he will always be one of the most important and influential men in my life. Some of my most important memories in my life include him. From him saving his jury duty money for months (He was on the grand jury for 5 months) while he was unemployed so that I could have money for prom to stashing money aside when I got picked up for a DUI two summers ago "just in case" I needed extra money for court or a cab to get to and from work.


My dad is the reason I like big burly men with beards! He used to be big and burly and has always had a beard and I say how happy he made my mom and that helped form the qualities I look for in a husband.

I love my daddy and I hope that I get to give him the chance to be a great grandpa someday! I love you Poppy!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

What a beautiful post! He sound like an amazing, strong and caring man who always shares his love in countless ways. That's the kind of parent I want to be!