Tuesday, April 27, 2010

When it rains, it pours

I woke up this morning feeling like I just wanted to go back to bed. Not that I was sick, or it was an ugly day outside, in fact, it was sunny and bright! It was just that I was tired, and well, who could pass up extra sleep? But, it didn't matter. I had to take the kids to Latch Key anyway so, If I have to get up and get dressed for that, I can go to work. Not to mention, I was off a day and a half last week as it was.

I drop the kiddos off and get on my way into work. I got 3/4 of the way there when my phone rang. It was my parents house. Not typical for my mom to call that early to chat, but not unheard of. I answered and it was my sister. That's when I knew something was wrong. She told me that my dad was being taken to the hospital via ambulance and that they were going to meet him at the hospital because they thought my dad was having a stroke. I instantly burst into tears and told her I was on my way and would meet them there.

Had it been my mom being rushed to the hospital, I think I still would have been worried, but I don't think I would have fallen apart. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't love my mom, it's just that since I was a kid, she has been in and out of the hospital for all of her various health issues that I have almost become desensitized to it. Mainly because, each time, no matter how serious, she always comes home fine or at least on the road to being fine. However, when my father, who barely gets a cold needs to be taken in, it was earth shattering.

I started praying like crazy. Making phone calls. Crying some more. Praying even harder. I had visions of him not being at my wedding. Him not holding his grandchild. Holidays without him. It was too much. I think I did 89 the whole 32 miles to where they were, which, as I might add, was not where they would normally go, but that hospital was closed to emergencies due to being full.

I pulled in just as my mom and sister were getting there and we all walked in together. They could only take my om back at first, so my sister and I sat in the waiting room waiting for my brother to get there. Apparently, my dad had been complaining of dizziness the past couple of days. Then, this morning, he woke up and stumbled in the bedroom. Then, walking through the living room, he fell into the rocking chair trying to get to the dining room. My mom asked him if he was ok, and he said he was just dizzy. She brought him his coffee and he held it and just stared off into space. My mom asked if he was ok and he said no and that he thought he was having a stroke. And really, he should know. He's had one before. When he was 38. He had a migraine induced stroke.

Finally, they let us go back and see him. I almost burst into tears when I saw him in his hospital bed. He looked so fragile. He was shaking like he had Parkinson's. He was crying. He couldn't control his head. His feet were tingly, and he couldn't control his hands. He tried to speak his name when the nurse came in and he struggled and struggled to get the words out. I would have broke down, but my mom and sister were already crying, which was making him cry more and I figured I could cry later.

They took him for a CAT Scan, and drew some blood and ran an EKG. They said it was just a severe panic attack, gave him some anti-anxiety medicine and discharged him. I was so pissed! I wanted an MRI done and him started on clot busters just in case! And, you can see some strokes on a CAT scan! An MRI is the standard test! Not to mention, the attention he received was sub par. His monitors were red alarming like three times and no one came to check on him. Finally, I had to go get someone!

They gave him some of the medicine there and he seemed to come out of it, but, I honestly don't buy it. He's NEVER had anxiety issues in his 62 years. He is the most even keeled person I have ever seen. I can count on one hand the number one times I have seen my dad cry or lose his top...the stroke makes more sense. I personally think he had a T.I.A., or, mini-stroke. He is going to his doctor tomorrow and hopefully they will order an MRI.

I am relieved he is home and resting, but I will feel better once he has a second opinion. Until then, I will be praying like crazy!!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That's crazy...why in the world would they not order an MRI?!! I hope that they do tomorrow...I'll pray too!