Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

In my family, we have traditions. Bee's not one that's big on traditions, because he's not big on holidays. That makes me sad. However, I suppose I see your point when your dad died at 13, your mom worked 3 jobs to support you and keep food on the table and clothes on your back, the man who you looked to for fatherly love and support died when you were 15, and well, there wasn't much to celebrate.

However, I feel that you need to sack up, and try and make the holidays special for your kids, so they don't grow up hum-bugging it themselves.

So, I try to cram my holiday traditions down their throat, hoping at least one or two stick and make special memories for the four of them :)

A couple of my family traditions at Thanksgiving are, my sister and my dad create "place mats" for each person with construction paper and crayons. I think they are funny, because none of us have artistic ability, but especially those two and more so my father after having a vodka or two. ;) This year, I think I'll get some construction paper and let them all have at it.

We also make our Christmas Lists for Santa after the desert has been cleared away and we are officially done with Thanksgiving Dinner. We also draw names for the Christmas Exchange, should we decide to have one that year.

However, my favorite Thanksgiving tradition is before we eat, my Poppy says grace, and then we go around the table stating one thing we are thankful for. So, in honor of that tradition, I give you my 10 things I am Thankful For.

10 things I am thankful for:

1. God, my saviour, who makes all things are possible. The very air I breathe, the things I have, are all because of Him.

2. Bee. I am so very thankful to have Bee in my life. He is my rock, my strength, my best friend, my lover, my constant companion. He is my stress reliever and the cause of most of my stress ;) hehe but seriously, the last year and a half of my life, despite the ups and the downs, has been the very best. I love him with all of my heart and I thank God every day for putting him in my life.

3. This is #3 on my list, because I believe in whole numbers, but really, it goes with #2 because it's just as important as #2. However, I could lump so much in with #2 that instead of 10 things, it would be 2. ;)  The kids. They are a constant blessing. Teaching me, letting me teach them. Letting me love them, and them loving me. I am so blessed with my little family. I couldn't ask for anything more, really. (However, one of my own would be nice ;)  ) 

4. Once again, this one could be #2 on my list. My family and friends. This includes Bee's Family too. For, to me, they are the same. They support us in every sense of the word. They make me laugh, help me remember things I have forgotten, love me unconditionally, and help me out when I need it. They love me and my little hive, and I can't ask for anything better than that!

5. My Home, for it is more than just a house. More than just a building. It is where we live. Where we share good times, and lean on each other during bad times. It is our sanctuary, our place to feel safe and complete. It's where we make our memories. 
   
6. My Job. For all the office politics that make me mad, or irritate me, I have a wonderful job, with a wonderful owner who takes good care of his employees. From bi-annual bonus, to free concert/sports tickets in the good seats. Not to mention, decent wage, and free health benefits. Plus, our owner is a stand up, decent guy.

7. My ability to budget money. I'm not like an accountant or anything, but I grew up with two parents who have no idea, and still don't. I can keep my checkbook better than they can. Which is why I never have any money. I pay all my bills, for the most part on time. I may only have $6.00 to my name, but damnit, all my bills are paid and there is food in my cupboard and gas in my cars.

8. My material goods. The clothes on my back, the clothes on my kid's and Bee's back, Our cars that get us where we need to go, our beds we sleep in, toys we play with, and TV's we watch. Not everyone is as fortunate as us.

9. My Dog. She is like my family too, but she lives with mama and poppy. She is going to be 11 this year and is still as spry as ever. She's a little deaf, and a little bit slower, but she can still bust into "stealth mode"...well, a slightly less fast version anyway ;)

10. Our Military and all that they have done for us and are still doing for us. God Bless them and their families! 
  

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. May it be as Blessed as mine is! :)

Gobble! Gobble!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love your Thanksgiving traditions, and may adopt the placemat and reasons to be thankful next year. :) Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful!